Monday, March 12, 2007

Symptoms, cravings and weird food aversions

So, it is probably the most common question I get from people once they find out we are pregnant (and, "so, were you trying?" What kind of rude question is that anyway? Does it really matter? WE ARE HAVING A BABY!) They usually ask a question that is much more tame and kind.

How are you feeling?

The reality is that, most of the time, I feel terrible. I seem to feel nauseous all the time. The term "morning sickness" is terribly misleading since I seem to feel this way most of the day. In fact, I actually feel best in the morning. It seems to be when I am least nauseous and have the most energy. As long as I eat, I feel better. If I don't, the nausea sets in pretty fast. About mid-afternoon, I tend to feel really tired and then really queasy. I feel worst, however, at night. It usually sets in after dinner. I guess that is better than trying to muttle through work though with this nausea.

The good news is that I have only thrown up once, and that was by accident. As usual, I fight puking with everything I have... mind over matter! I have had this fear that once I throw up, my body will begin to feel like I need to throw up every time the nausea sets in. Two Fridays ago, the inevitable happened. I slept in and didn't get a chance to eat much before I left for a hair appointment. I choked down a banana on my way out the door. I got a great haircut and left feeling fine, just very hungry. By the time I got myself a sandwich, I was feeling worse than usual. Usually, when I am feeling sick, I can go outside, get some fresh air and feel better. So, I sat outside to eat my sandwich. As I was taking a sip of water, it went down the wrong tube and I began to cough. That was the end of that. I threw up immediately. Let's just say that a new haircut (that is very layered and hits right at your chin) does not mix very well with morning sickness!! But, thank God, that has been my only actual puking experience and I am optimistic that it will be my last (just as I hope that all of this nausea is done with in the next couple of weeks as I move OUT of the first trimester!)

I also feel tired A LOT! Exhausted is probably a better way to put it. I know that I am usually a pretty tired person but I think most of that has to do with the lifestlye that we lead. We are out pretty often and stay up pretty late. These days, however, I am lucky if I can stay awake on the couch later than 8:30. Shows I used to be addicted to, I now fall asleep watching. I am hoping my energy comes back a bit too in the next couple of weeks.

As for cravings, at first it was Chinese (which actually sounds really good to me right now too!) I think it is the spicy stuff I want. For the first time in my life, I am using tabasco sauce on everything from soup to eggs. Mexican sounds good too, as does pizza. Most things sound pretty good to me these days, with one notable exception, chocolate. I have a TERRIBLE aversion to it (which stinks when you have just receieved your order of girl scout cookies that you felt obligated to buy from each scout in our church!) The smell of chocolate alone right now is really terrible to me. Sadly, I think I have only had 3 or 4 pieces of the See's candy chocolates that mom and dad got us for Valentine's Day. It is awful! I definitely think that I crave salty more than sweet (which, they say, indicates BOY rather than GIRL, but who knows!)

Maybe I will get my love of chocolate back in the next couple of weeks as well but, for now, I think I will go find something salty to snack on. :)

No comments: